Out of all the languages I have studied to date (Tagalog, English, Spanish, Chinese), I have yet to find a language as sweet and endearing as Arabic.
Back home, my close friends and I like to call each other nicknames like: love, lovebug, loveface, lovebucket, sweets, sweet love, sweet pea, sweetheart, dear, dearest, dear heart, dear love, dove, hun, honey, darlin’, etc. You get my point! Ufortunately, the English language can only go so far to express what you really want to say.
Arabic is a language for sappy people. Take, for example, its abundant selection of terms of endearment. In America, I was accused of being too mushy (y’all make it sound like a bad thing), but here I fit right in! For instance, a friend recently said to me, “Sarah Hayaati…” (which literally means “Sarah My Life”) to simply beckon my attention. Isn't that so great?
Here are other terms that I adore: habibi (my dear), naseebi (my destiny), albi (my heart), rafiiki (my friend), sadeeqi (my friend), haboub (beloved), roohi (my soul), on and on I could go. And these aren’t just made-up words like “love face,” OK.
Moreover, I have yet to find a language that exchanges as much grace as standard Arabic vernacular. There is a specific exchange of God’s blessings for a plethora of situations – from eating a meal together, welcoming a person into your home, leaving a room, giving a present, giving a pen, granting a request, buying food, welcoming a new baby, saying good-bye for the long term, congratulating an accomplishment, etc! And would you believe there is even an exchange of grace after you realize someone has gotten a shave, haircut or taken a shower! Not kidding. It’s like they’re always trying to one-up in showing each other honor, and I so appreciate how the presence of God is invoked in them all (although I doubt many people pause to think about what they’re really saying). Nevertheless, I love love love love LOVE IT!
Dayman ana b’heb idrous araby ketir!