Saturday, August 9, 2008

Herb and Cheese Biscuits

We’re throwin a party at our apartment tonight. In a moment of weakness, I had the brilliant idea of making classic American party food: pigs in a blanket. By the sweet and abundant grace of God, it occurred to me that given our location, pigs in a blanket would be a very bad idea. Haram! Even if I used beef hot dogs, I concluded that trying to explain “pigs in a blanket” was a lost cause. And, quite frankly, “cows in a blanket” sounds just plain wrong.

In the States, we take a lot of things for granted. Like Bisquick. Haven’t seen it here. Anyway, here is the biscuit recipe I used for tonight’s party!

-1 c flour
-1 ½ t baking powder
-½ t salt
-½ c grated cheese (I used mozzarella, it’s cheap here)
-½ c milk (or mix water with dry milk to taste)
-Seasoned salt and pepper to taste
-A dash of some spice I wasn’t familiar with (my personal rule of thumb: if it smells like Thanksgiving, don’t add it in cheese biscuits)
-Sprinkle in some dried herb seasoning like there’s no tomorrow (I don’t know my herbs in Arabic..yet! But it smelled like dried chives, thyme, and maybe parsley
2 heaping tsp of plain yogurt (or mayo)

1. Mix all together
2. Plop into muffin cups by the spoonful
3. Bake until you can smell em from the living room (you just never know with our oven)

Yields ~10 biscuits

And as we say before meals here, Saha!