Thursday, October 16, 2008

Guitar

My parents like to call me their "hippie Christian daughter" (minus the drugs). They have actually said that verbatim on several occassions when introducing me to people. "This is our hippie Christian daughter...minus the drugs." Now, I personally do not consider myself a "hippie." I mean, I only own one skirt that makes me look like I eat organic food. And the only protest rallies I've ever "been to" were on my walks to class (during IMF/World Bank Not-Such-A-Fan Club rally season) at our Foggy Bottom campus (dodging them). My parents must have a different definition of "hippie" in their minds. After all, I am their only Asian daughter who doesn't want to go to med school. And during college, I took classical Indian dance. And Broadway dance. And flamenco. And latin dance. Then pilates. That's it. It must be the pilates. What kind of exercise merely entails breathing and stretching anyway? I also frequently burst out into spontaneous song around the house. And in public. But that still don't make me no "hippie." I'm kind of a mee-maw if you ask me.

Anyway. All that is to say that perhaps my parents were onto something after all BECAUSE...I am finally learning how to play guitar for real (huzzah, huzzah)!!! And I most recently learned to play "Tennessee" by The Wreckers. Love it! And you best believe our neighbors must be lovin this too! My roomie Leah came up to me the other night and said, "You look like a hippie strumming her guitar." I was sitting pretzel style, that's why. Come to think of it, I was also wearing my turquoise skirt that makes me look like I eat organic food.

If I ever get the urge to make you all hyperventilate with laughter, I might even post a video of my showing off this new hobby.