Our house church eats dinner together every Sunday. I love it. Today, I made pancit (a Filipino dish) with our beloved gourmet chef Karen. She and Andrew once had a Filipina maid who made this on the regular, and she wanted to give it a go for herself. I must say this recipe is super easy and quite yummy too.
I have never been so keenly in touch with my ethnicity as I am here, of all places! Cooking a Filipino dinner for American friends...in the Middle East. I suppose stranger things have happened.
Pancit Power
Ingredients:
-Pancit bihon (rice noodles)
-1.5 lb chicken breasts (boiled, shredded)
-celery (as much as you want)
-3 stalks carrots (chopped thinly)
-cabbage (thinly sliced) - a head or however much makes 2 cups or so
-1 c green beans (thinly cut in diagonals)
-1 onion (thinly sliced)
-soy sauce
-green onion for garnish (optional)
-4 garlic cloves minced (or more if you really want a kick!)
-1.5 T patis (It's this super potent fish sauce)
-salt and pepper (to taste)
-3 T oil (veggie and/or sesame)
-2 cups chicken broth (or so)
-1 lemon (juice to go on chicken, wedges for garnish)
Prep:
1. Boil chicken breasts (save broth), shred, set aside.
2. Prepare pancit bihon as directed on package (best to soak in extra chicken broth)
3. Cut all veggies and set aside
The Real Deal:
4. In a big wok-like pan, heat oil and cook onions and garlic together
5. Add 1 c chicken broth, shredded chicken, some lemon juice, soy sauce, and patis
6. Add veggies, salt, and pepper
7. Sit till veggies look semi cooked (just a couple minutes)
8. Add drained rice noodles (little by little) while mixing altogether
9. Keep adding chicken broth to keep pancit moist (but not soggy).
10.Keep adding soy sauce until the noodles are nicely browned (make sure it's not too salty).
11. Cook until noodles are all mixed and warmed with veggies
12. Place into platter, garnish as you like