Sunday, June 17, 2007

In Memory of Phill Grosser










He was a humble man, and kind. He liked burning his chainmaille in the microwave. He named his facial hair. He told bad jokes at inappropriate times. His lifestyle stood in sharp contrast with the impersonal, oftentimes superficial, and fast-paced culture of GW, because he actually gave you the time of day. He thought before he spoke, and he talked real slow. In typical family fashion, I found this annoying. He liked skipping down the streets of DC with me. He with the feather in his hat, and me with the flowers on my skirt. He held every door and stood up every time I entered or exited the room. He gave big-brother hugs. And he didn't shy away from spontaneous dance parties. He would listen to every word I said, even if I bored him to no end, which, considering our polar opposite interests, I probably did. But I know he cared enough about me. He had a tender heart, though his long hair and knife collection could have passed him off as a wannabe Herculean warrior. He was compassionate. Above all, he loved Jesus. If anything at all, I insist that you know this about Phill.

We practically had nothing in common, except for our faith in our God and Savior, Jesus Christ. I especially appreciated his friendship, because it showed me what it means to have unity in the bond of peace, that which comes through Jesus' finished work at the cross.

I want you to read this excerpt from his blog. In it, he explains his faith in Jesus, which I can safely say is the ONLY, and I really mean ONLY, reason I am not completely broken. Though this situation pains me, I honestly cannot help but yet give thanks to God for Phill's salvation. Because following Jesus really is a matter of life and death. Death will certainly come to everyone of us, but Phill clung to Him who died to give us life. Abundant life. Eternal life. Phill trusted in Him who resurrected to ensure the triumph over sin and our hope for future glory. You see, Phill believed in Jesus. He knew that it was only through the blood of Christ that his sins could be forgiven, that his soul may be redeemed from the righteous wrath and punishment his sins deserved. Phill knew he needed Jesus to do what he could not do for himself: that is, to save him from his sins. I cannot emphasize it enough. Were it not for the cross of Jesus, I would be despairing. Painful as it is, I only mourn my confusion and Phill's absence from my life here on earth. Thank God I do not have to mourn his soul.

Phill wrote this exactly 2 years prior to his death. My friend Javi pointed out that it now feels like his farewell address to the brothers and sisters he left behind.

"I have AMAZING brothers and sister in Blood, that I love (philos) to life even though I don't easily verbalize it (those of you out there know that I am talking about you). ... I have been saved from mindless and soulless religion by Jesus my Savior, and He died on the cross so that I can have a Beautiful relationship with God the Father through Him, and I have been new by the Holy Spirit enter me and making me into a new creation. I have been allowed to serve, praise, and even TALK to my Creator, amazing, awing, and mind-boggling, wow, I think I might have to take some time just meditating on that.....

Yah I kinda wish that I had the brain capacity to realize the FULL implications of that. I could go on for a whole nother page, but I have the feeling that you all get the idea. GOD IS AMAZING!!! That is the only a fractoin of it. I am do not think that there is a word in any language capable of even coming close to discribing God. Ahh well, we as humans have the responsibility to try our best to do this. OK signing off.

a mighty and precious Blood brother"
(May 28, 2005).