Friday, December 4, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!













Here is the List of things I am thankful for!

-a flamenco community in the city
-strict flamenco teachers like Toni who tell you, "That is wrong! Do it again."
-dear friends who come to visit me from afar
-Laura's calming presence, haha
-constantly laughing at Jami's outlandish comments :)
-Abu Ahmed who delivers my heavy water bottles that I don't have to carry
-solea por bulerias
-Vitamin E
-knafeh for breakfast
-fresh fruits that you can buy with the stems and leaves still on it
-buying potatoes with mud and dirt all over it
-my supportive family, knowing I can count on them no matter what
-Skype
-students who keep me laughing...and crying...sometimes both on the same day
-the Med sea
-the park/garden I can work out at close by my house
-men who sell Arabic coffee on the side of the street
-neighbors that bring us food
-Jasmine green tea
-Arab hospitality
-watching "Friends" in Arabic and understanding it
-the florist near my home
-manicures for $3
-a neighbor that cuts my hair
-working with a national youth group that takes me back to the "good old days" :)
-local friends that share their poetry with me
-meeting emo Palestinian kids!
-cross-country bus rides for $3
-shopping at local markets that require bargaining skills that make you sound like a very mean person
-singing Arabic hymns at church and finally understanding what I'm singing
-the juxteposition of a blue sea, palm trees, and snow capped mountains
-coming to a deeper knowledge and love for Jehovah Jireh, the Lord my Provider
-hanging out for hours at a local dollar store and chatting it up with customers
-honest people in my life who will tell me the truth even if it hurts
-Hillsong United
-living in a place where everybody knows our name, even if we don't know theirs
-the Fatafete channel where I can now watch my favorite Food Network shows like Barefoot Contessa, Cooking with Paula Deen, and Everyday Italian!
-living in a country where EVERYBODY loves nice and shiny objects, loud and bright colors, and gaudy designs
-white and blue pottery
-the opportunity to travel to different countries in the Middle East
-singing karaoke, drinking coffee, and sipping nargileh like it's my job...because it is
-situations that keep me knowing and feeling my utter need for Jesus
-watching God answer prayers

There is so much to be thankful for! I hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving!