Monday, March 23, 2009

On a Diet

Some of you folks may know there is a huge culture of orality in this part of the world. It’s just not quite the same in the States.

For example, I attended a Mother’s Day party at the women’s center I volunteer at where many ladies came in attendance. As part of the program, several women stood up to sing songs and recite poems they composed. One older lady even shared a story about a mother hen who sacrificed herself in order to save her baby chickens. You have to realize this is rather typical for special occasions (The orality in general, not stories about chicken love).

One segment in particular included three dear friends who performed a ballad of sorts. Good thing I was paying attention…because one entire verse of the song was about yours truly!! I couldn’t believe it. Please pardon my horrible Arabic-English translations, but it went something like this, hear ye:

“Our beloved Sarah came to us
She is a good gift from God
When we met her she was on a diet
So we couldn’t invite her to our home.”

Hahahaha! I promise you I did not misunderstand them, since I checked it with a national friend who speaks English fluently. "WHAT did they just SAY?" I immediately asked her, rather dumbfounded.

You can only imagine what utter confusion I was in when I heard these words sung…at a PARTY! Now, other than the constant battle that wages between my vanity and undying passion for chocolate, I do not recall ever being on a diet (except for the three whopping hours I tried doing Maker's, but that's a different story), thus giving me absolutely no reason to tell these women I was on a diet. So to be quite honest, I am still confused?! I still don’t get it. Is this a subliminal, passive-aggressive hint to lose weight or something? Oh, mercy.