Friday, February 2, 2007

Hired

Praise God with me! I have a job! This Monday, I will begin as a Business Development Administrator at the Association for Manufacturing Technology (AMT) based in Mclean, VA. This is certainly a far cry from the field of human services, but hey. God has His purposes!

Some of you know how disheartening the job search process was for me. Especially because I honestly wanted nothing more than to flee the country right after graduation. In light of this desire to be overseas, I specifically asked God for a job that would free me up in about a year. I also asked for employment that would prepare me to be a good wife and mom, because I think it's important to keep the bigger picture in mind.

I originally thought He answered this prayer by presenting me with the opportunity to work as a white collar criminal defense attorney's personal Legal Assistant -- a job description which really should have read, "Stand-in Mother." As a named partner at a telecommunications law firm, he is an incredibly busy man who bluntly told me he needed someone to run his life. Ordering his socks and suits from London, placing auction bids on art he collects, getting his oil changed, keeping track of his investments, supervising his housekeepers, and buying gifts for his girlfriends are some of the few responsibilities I was told about. Oh, and we can't forget about the watering schedule for his special orchid. I must say, the salary and overtime pay was remarkably appealing, and there is just something so gosh darn romantic about being a right-hand gal. Unfortunately, this job would have required a drastic change of lifestyle (working till 11 pm would not be unusual), temporary relocations for months at a time (with indefinite end dates), and other factors that would have prevented me from maintaining the relationships God has already given me here in DC. Moreover, it would have kept me from going overseas. That really broke my heart.

You know you have to watch out for jobs where questions like, "Can you drive a manual car?" and "How do you deal with demanding people?" and "What is the last emotional crisis you went through?" are asked during your interview.

I also pursued employment with Tishman Speyer and Boston Properties, but once AMT made an offer, I couldn't resist. I must admit, manufacturing technology doesn't necessarily make my heart sing (yet), but I'm really attracted to the Business Development aspect of it all. Our particular department does consulting and implementation support for U.S. businesses who want to partner with or outsource from international industries. The Directors I report to handle work in Japan, China, India, Turkey, the Americas, and Central/Eastern Europe.

Since the beginning, I've asked God to clearly guide me. Well, get this: On my second round of interviews at AMT, I met with the VP of Business Development and his Executive Assistant. I'm not quite sure how this came up, but it turns out that the Executive Assistant, a woman named Julie, was a Journeyman in Africa. That is the same exact program with the same exact non-profit organization I am hoping to join in the future. It turns out that she will be leaving her job within the next year, so that she can pursue a long-term career with this non-profit. You can only imagine. I was utterly floored! God is just so winsome. I seriously had to brace myself, as I miserably tried to ask her with every ounce of professionalism left in me, "Excuse me, Julie, but I need a moment..." I was so overwhelmed by God's faithfulness to clearly answer my prayers that I literally cried during my interview (happy tears, mind you). I trust this job will serve as a good foundation for future endeavors. I expect to learn quite a lot about international business.

In the meanwhile, I look forward to the time I will have to continue working with my amazing small group guys and gals at GW, flamenco dancing my heart out, learning Arabic...hopefully, trying to learn guitar (ha!), and taking cake decorating classes at Michael's. Rock on.